Thursday, April 28, 2011

Alabama Tornadoes

CRAZZZZZZY weather here in Alabama. It's actually chilly today while it was eerily hot yesterday as we awaited round two of a tornado outbreak. The kids and I had already spent 30 minutes at daybreak early Wednesday morning in the partial, dirt-floor basement trying to stay out of harm's way during round one. Unfortunately, many are still missing here in Alabama after a day long event of dangerous storms and tornadoes. Well over a hundred are confirmed dead at the latest count and thankfully, our community escaped safely, no deaths in my immediate area.

However, many of us are finding lots of things along our roadways and yards aside from downed trees and limbs. As we walked around our yard late yesterday and early today, we found lots of pages from various books, but this seems to be the most fitting, the most interesting...
 A few pages from a small Bible
My child ran to me with tattered pages in her hand. I took the dirty, wet scriptures from her plump, seven year old hands. She said, "What is it?" and I smiled and said, "A gift from God, I can't wait to read it."

We also found a bank paper with a name, a page from Chapter 15 of a history book with The Battle of Bull Run on it....
 We found a Kentucky Fried Chicken receipt, ironically all the way from Calvert City, Ky...not sure how that ended up here, it was a debit receipt signed by the customer, from several years ago...

We also found photos and an old baseball card...
We are very thankful this morning, we are praying for those who weren't so lucky....
If you are interested in seeing photos of the damage in AL, click here.
You can also watch the tornado that we saw live on TV as well ripping through Tuscaloosa (many miles southwest of me) HERE.

School is out again today, the kids are not excited that they will likely have to go a couple of Saturdays to make these days up...but we live another day, to love, to complain, to carry on as 'normal'.

I felt the warm sun on the back of my neck as I hung clean laundry on the line this morning. I was teary as I hung up my children's clothes that I placed on their small bodies yesterday, not knowing if it was all they would have left at the end of the day...

We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment